Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Working on comics...

I'm always fighting this internal battle. See, I'm in school for Graphics and Multimedia. My goal is to make video games. It seemed like a practical idea at the time...the industry is booming, I like games and I have a little code writing in my background, not to mention an appreciation for art and graphics. But I also have this unending drive to draw comics. I don't believe there's anything wrong with that, and the more I try to resist it, the more I just keep trying to do it.

So, with that, I have purged two of the three concepts that have plagued my mind and compelled me to be indecisive for the last decade or so, and have resolved to focus 100% of my creativity on one thing.

To that end, I went out and bought myself a pack of Canson Fanboy Comic Book Layout Pages. They're structured in such a way that makes it easy to plan rough thumbnails of comic pages complete with notes. Today I spent some time revising a story I came up with for my premiere character and I planned out a comic. Below are the thumbnails I scrawled up on my layout paper:

Photobucket

I gotta say, it was fun. I felt like I was making some definite progress on good comic planning, and the paper only cost $3.88 (Utrecht was having a sale) for 35 sheets with four layouts each. That's far more than I need to create the book I'm working on, which I plan to produce within a year's time...a 48 page graphic novel featuring the one and only Jet Dancer.

No comments: